The principal aim of the Certificate 3 Guarantee is to assist working-age Queenslanders without a certificate III or higher level qualification to complete a nationally recognised certificate III level qualification that leads to:
- a job outcome for individuals trying to enter the labour market or their desired industry/career
- advancement in the workplace or career progression for individuals already employed in their preferred industry.
A certificate III level qualification is shown to have a significant impact on a person’s employment and earnings. It is also the level of qualification usually required to get a job in industries like aged care, child care, hospitality and small business.
Once a certificate III level qualification has been completed participants will no longer be eligible for a subsidised training place under the Certificate 3 Guarantee program.
For more information see the Queensland Government Certificate 3 Guarantee student factsheet
To be eligible for the Certificate 3 Guarantee prospective students must:
- be aged 15 years or above, and no longer at school (with the exception of VET in School (VETiS) students — see the VETiS fact sheet for more information)
- permanently reside in Queensland
- be an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident (includes humanitarian entrant), temporary resident with the necessary visa and work permits on the pathway to permanent residency, or a New Zealand citizen
- not hold, and not be enrolled in, a certificate III or higher level qualification, not including qualifications completed at school and foundation skills training.
Queensland Year 12 graduates
To support Queensland’s Year 12 graduates to successfully transition to employment, the government is offering fee-free training in high-priority qualifications under the Certificate 3 Guarantee.
To be eligible for fee-free training, the student must meet the above Certificate 3 Guarantee eligibility criteria and:
- have evidence of completing Year 12 in Queensland, for example hold a Queensland Studies Authority issued Senior Statement or equivalent certification
- enrol in a high-priority qualification under the program with a PQS
- commence training within 12 months of graduating Year 12 (i.e. by the end of the calendar year after completing Year 12).
Under the Certificate 3 Guarantee, the Queensland Government will subsidise the training costs for the following qualifications with Capital Training Institute.
- CPC10111 Certificate I in Construction
Student Contribution Fee
A Student Contribution Fee applies to all students undertaking the Certificate 3 Guarantee Level Programs
Concessional student status applies when:
- the student holds a health care concession card or pensioner concession card issued under Commonwealth law, or is the partner or a dependant of a person who holds a health care concession card or pensioner concession card, and is named on the card
- the student provides the PQS with an official form under Commonwealth law confirming that the student, his or her partner or the person of whom the student is a dependant, is entitled to concessions under a health care or pensioner concession card
- the student is an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
- the student is a school student and is enrolled in a VETiS program (may include youth in detention)
- the student has a disability
- the student is an adult prisoner.